Monday, December 13, 2010

I see a beige door and I want to paint it black



I have wanted a new front door for a while now. One of those really pretty doors with glass to let some more light in. UNTIL....I saw how much doors cost. I saw one at Lowe's for, gasp, $5000. Now, I know there are other ways to get a nice door for less money. I'll looked on craigslist and have even seen some at garage sales. But unless you know the exact measurements when you stumble upon those great deals, its useless.

I decided to just paint the door and maybe that would suffice until I get a new one. For $13 in paint, and one of the last days in the 60s of the year, I did it.




While I was at it, the back door bothered me b/c I often have a dog with dirty paws, or kids with dirty hands leaving dirt makes on the light beige door. Sooooo.



In case you're wondering how to paint a front door, I just wiped my down. Because it was already painted plus I was using black, I didn't prime the door. If you were going with another color you would possibly consider doing this. I used a semi-gloss and I'm quite happy with it. I didn't want it too shiny. My door is one of those builder-grade metal doors. It took two coats. I bought a roller, but quickly realized that I preferred the brush to the roller. I bought a new brush for this project. I think it was called rooster, the brand. I quite liked this brush. I am by no means a professional, so if you are considering painting your door, by all means talk to the people at your favorite paint place. My happens to be Hoover, but I used Lowe's paint on this project b/c I had a gift card. Both doors, and both coats took about 2 hours total to do. I have some leftover paint and I'm going to do the garage door when it warms up.

No comments:

Post a Comment